July 19, 2010

People The Biggest Barrier To Growth Part 2.

There has been quite a lot of interest in my original post, 'People The Biggest Barrier To Growth.'

The idea for that post came from a friend, who told me that he was employing people in his company, for the first time. Moving from 'one man band' to a man with people management responsibilities.

Which was when I remembered the research that I did, on what stopped SME's growing. People being the problem, that was singled out as the biggest barrier to growth.

Anyway my friend asked me, what was the best strategy in overcoming that problem?

This was my reply.

There is no one answer to that of course. In my experience it’s attracting and selecting the right candidates. For example, the selection process that I use on salespeople for clients, has a number of elements designed to sort out the 'wheat from the chaff.' That’s the starting point of getting it right.

Beyond that, it’s the right conditions, pay, commission, training, their role and responsibilities. being clear, along with performance expectations being set.

The quality of the product and service the company provides has to be right.

Good leadership and fair management, are essential. Creating an environment where there is a lack of office politics, which can destroy organisations is vital.

People being valued for their contribution, some kind of review process, to get two way feedback on progress.

There is more of course, but getting those right is a good start.

A good book on managing people is the one minute manager. I recommend it to all my clients that want to learn some practical methods of managing people. The big bonus of this book is that; the style its written in, makes it an enjoyable and easy read.






















Day five of my 41 day blog challenge, all comments questions and observations welcome.


Take Care 




Regards


Mark 


P.S. Guest Blog writers welcome send me an email.




Integrated Marketing  Copyright Mark Wheatley 2010 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions, please use the comment feature. If I have time I will respond.