June 10, 2009

Time Management

I was asked the other day about what stops some small business owners growing their business, why don’t they market themselves well?

There is no simple answer to that question, but if you asked me what is the thing that I see the most, that stops some small business owners marketing and growing their business. Its managing themselves and others.


If you cannot free up some time, how can you develop the business?


An improvement in time management skills plus some general people management skills can make a significant difference to your success, if this is a problem.


Michael Gerber coined the phase ‘working on the business instead of working in the business.’


I would regard developing the marketing and sales strategies/tactics as being on of those working on the business tasks.


It’s very difficult to allocate time to do this if you haven’t mastered skills like how to use your time effectively, skills such as delegation, setting high quality goals, or being too accessible or simply saying yes too often.


The worse one is ‘reverse delegation,’ when your staff give you back the job and you end up working even longer hours.


Let me know if you have some issues with time management, tell me what they are and I’ll give you a few pointers. Also if you have any tips of your own lets hear them.


Regards,

Mark Wheatley

Integrated Marketing  Copyright Mark Wheatley 2009 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions, please use the comment feature. If I have time I will respond.